Why is Asphalt Sealcoating Useful?
If you want your driveway to last, sealcoating is the best way since unprotected asphalt is more vulnerable to cracks and potholes which can eventually severely damage your pavement’s foundation. Sealcoating is a helpful tool to protect your asphalt pavement. Sealcoating can also significantly improve the appearance of your asphalt surface.
Give your asphalt the protection it needs by calling in East Georgia Asphalt Paving. We can expertly sealcoat and repair both residential driveways and commercial parking lots.
Contact us and let us know more about your maintenance project!
Types of Sealcoating
There are two main types of seal coat products, coal tar and asphalt emulsions. Coal tar is longer-lasting and provides protection against fuel and chemical spills. However, it is considered less environmentally friendly than asphalt emulsion sealers. Asphalt emulsion sealers emit fewer VOCs than regular coal-tar based materials and do not rely on petroleum byproducts. However, this type of sealer provides less protection against fuel spills and chemicals.
Two other kinds of asphalt sealers are acrylic and fast-dry. Acrylic sealers are synthetic compounds comprised mostly of acrylic and polymers. It is less harmful to the environment and poses fewer health risks than other types of sealers. Fast-dry sealers are ready for foot traffic about an hour after application, and for vehicle traffic in one day. However fast-dry options are not as long-lasting and require temperatures to be above 75 degrees Fahrenheit during application.
Benefits of Sealcoating
- Asphalt sealcoating extends the life of a driveway or parking lot by preventing asphalt from hardening and crumbling.
- Creates a uniform coat over pavement, making it less susceptible to cracks and holes
- Prevents salt, chemicals, or moisture from infiltrating the asphalt
- Sealcoating is cheap, easy to apply, and many homeowners or small businesses are capable of applying certain types of it themselves
- Sealcoating is a cost-effective way of fixing damaged or weathered pavement, extending its life and improving its appearance
The Asphalt Sealcoating Process
Our professional seal coating crews follow a multi-step process to provide a thorough refresh on our client’s asphalt surfaces. Homeowners or businesses can follow this general procedure as well:
1. Check for rain – Check the forecast and select a time when rain is not predicted for a couple of days. It is also best to sealcoat when temperatures are expected to stay above 55 degrees.
2. Block off the area – Barricade the asphalt pavement that will be sealcoated to ensure that no traffic will drive on the freshly sealed area.
3. Clean the area – Perform a general cleaning of the asphalt pavement by sweeping and/or power washing.
4. Crack filling – Apply liquid sealer to deep scratches and cracks first, then apply a thin coat of primer over these areas.
5. Patching – Patch any holes with asphalt patching compound to create a smooth surface.
6. Apply the pavement sealer – Apply the liquid seal coat with the appropriate sealcoating equipment – like a squeegee or sprayer.
7. Second coat – Check the parking lot or driveway for any spots that were missed, and plan for a second coat the following day.
8. Enjoy your fresh surface! – Remove barricades after the asphalt seal coat has dried completely, generally about 36 hours.
9. Restripe – If the sealcoating was done for an asphalt parking lot, the parking spaces will need to be restriped. (We provide this service as well!)
Reach out for a sealcoating quote today!
We can be reached by phone or email and look forward to hearing from you. We aim to reply to every request promptly and always provide top-notch customer service.
Call us: 912-226-4249
See What Our Customers Have To Say